Orton-Gillingham Certified Level: Coursework
This two-year long instruction of the Orton-Gillingham Certified Level coursework provides teachers with the opportunity to enhance their knowledge of Orton-Gillingham and instruct using the Orton-Gillingham approach to beginning, as well as more advanced students. The 100 hours of additional coursework will be instructed over 9 days, as well as guest speakers and Academy conferences. Prerequisite: Participants must be a member of the Academy at the Associate Level or have submitted their Associate Level application by the time of enrollment.
Homework requirements include the completion of the Academy’s required readings, written summaries, lesson plans and quizzes.
The Certified Course includes the following topics:
- The brain: current research on reading, writing, language development, dyslexia and language disability
- Advanced Morphology
- Vocabulary Development
- Accent, Schwa, Connectives and Patterns
- Advanced lesson plans
- Advanced Multisensory Writing: parts of speech, grammar, sentences transitions, paragraphs, essays, planning
- OG in other Subject Areas: science, math, social studies, classroom adaptations
- Organizational study skills
- Assessment: formal, formal
- Interpretation of test results
- Profile development
- Analyzing errors and developing profiles
Laurie D. Leason, Fellow of the Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators (AOGPE)
Academic Year: 10 Saturdays, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Summer: 5 days in July, 5 days in August
Please contact me directly regarding additional available training dates and times.
Completed at my training center, on-site, or online.
$2,200.00, (non-refundable deposit: $100.00) May be taken in two parts: Part 1: $1,100 & Part 2: $1,100
You must submit a criminal record search. This search must be attached to your application (scan and upload for online registrations).
Orton-Gillingham Certified Level: Practicum
The Orton-Gillingham Certified Level practicum will provide my trainees with the opportunity to apply the Orton-Gillingham approach when instructing an advanced student at their own school site, arranged site or video. With this practicum I will provide support and instruction as the participant designs and teaches 10 advanced lessons for total of 100 hours under my supervision and guidance. This practicum must be completed at a minimum of two years, during which the trainee will work 1:1 with a dyslexic student. My observation includes a comprehensive write up with recommendations. Upon the completion of their coursework, practicum hours, required readings, lesson plans, and quizzes, trainees will have met the requirements of the Academy of Orton Gillingham Practitioners and Educators for certification at the Certified Level of membership.
This Coursework, including the practicum is 150 PDPs
Optional 3 graduate credits per year (additional fee per year payable through the instructor).
Dates: Arranged on an individual basis.
Fee: $250 per practicum lesson, plus travel.
Orton-Gillingham Certified Level: Application for Certification
Following the successful completion of the Certified Level Course, trainees may apply for membership at the Certified Level in the Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators.
The requirements for admission to the Academy at the Associate Level are:
- Bachelor’s degree
- OG coursework totaling a minimum of 100 hours (plus 60 Associate hours = 160 total)
- OG-supervised practicum experience, teaching one-to-one, totaling 100 hours over a minimum period of 2 years
- 10 entire 40-60 minute lesson observations by a Fellow (onsite or unedited video) (plus 10 Associate observations = 20 total observations)
- Evidence of completion of Academy-required readings at the Certified Level
- Certified Level members are qualified to tutor individuals and teach small groups using the Orton-Gillingham Approach.
- Trainees contemplating application should begin by reading Notice to Applicant and then by proceeding to download the appropriate membership documents at http://www.ortonacademy.org/certification.php