Orton-Gillingham Certified Level: Coursework
This two-year long instruction of the Orton-Gillingham Certified Level coursework provides teachers with the opportunity to enhance their knowledge of Orton-Gillingham and instruct using the Orton-Gillingham approach to beginning, as well as more advanced students. The 100 hours of additional coursework will be instructed over 10 days, as well as guest speakers and Academy conferences. Prerequisite: Participants must be a member of the Academy at the Associate Level or have submitted their Associate Level application by the time of enrollment.
Homework requirements include the completion of the Academy’s required readings, written summaries, lesson plans, and quizzes.
The Certified Course includes the following topics:
- The brain: current research on reading, writing, language development, dyslexia, and language disability
- Advanced Morphology
- Vocabulary Development
- Accent, Schwa, Connectives, and Patterns
- Advanced lesson plans
- Structured Word Inquiry
- Advanced Multisensory Writing: parts of speech, grammar, sentences transitions, paragraphs, essays, planning
- OG in other Subject Areas: science, math, social studies, classroom adaptations
- Organizational study skills
- Assessment: formal, formal
- Interpretation of test results
- Profile development
- Analyzing errors and developing profiles
Instructor: Laurie D. Leason, Fellow of the Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators (AOGPE)
Academic Year: 10 Saturdays, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Summer: 5 days in July, 5 days in August
Please contact me directly regarding additional available training dates and times.
Location: Completed at my training center, at your requested location, or online in person via Zoom.
Fees: $2,200.00, (non-refundable deposit: $100.00) May be taken in two parts: Part 1: $1,100 & Part 2: $1,100
You must submit a criminal record search. This search must be attached to your application (scan and upload for online registrations).
Orton-Gillingham Certified Level: Practicum
The Orton-Gillingham Certified Level practicum will provide my trainees with the opportunity to apply the Orton-Gillingham approach when instructing an advanced student at their own school site, arranged site or video. With this practicum, I will provide support and instruction as the participant designs and teaches 10 advanced lessons for a total of 100 hours under my supervision and guidance. This practicum must be completed at a minimum of two years, during which the trainee will work 1:1 with a dyslexic student. My observation includes a comprehensive write up with recommendations. Upon the completion of their coursework, practicum hours, required readings, lesson plans, and quizzes, trainees will have met the requirements of the Academy of Orton Gillingham Practitioners and Educators for certification at the Certified Level of membership and the IDA for Structured Literacy/Dyslexia Therapist.
The Certified level practicum consists of ten recorded lessons, 40-60 minutes in duration that are submitted to me with all appropriate materials. They may also be viewed via Skype if requested. I first watch the entire lesson. Next, I review the lesson again and provide extensive comments and suggestions that are provided to enhance the trainee’s skills and knowledge, and lead to their membership with the Academy. I do not just complete a checklist on their lesson. A detailed report is provided via Zoom of compliments, suggestions, and corrections, to review the practicum lesson. As my review of the Certified practicum usually takes a minimum of three to four hours to complete, the fee is $250 per lesson. Practicum lessons may be paid in full at the beginning of the practicum, or paid when submitted to me over the course of a minimum of two years for the Certified level. There are no additional fees or course materials required.
Optional 7 graduate credits per year (additional fee per year payable through the University of the Pacific).
Dates: Arranged on an individual basis.
Fee: $250 per practicum lesson.
Orton-Gillingham Certified Level: Application for Certification
Following the successful completion of the Certified Level Course, trainees may apply for membership at the Certified Level in the Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators.
The requirements for admission to the Academy at the Associate Level are:
- Bachelor’s degree
- OG coursework totaling a minimum of 100 hours (plus 60 Associate hours = 160 total)
- OG-supervised practicum experience, teaching one-to-one, totaling 100 hours over a minimum period of 2 years
- 10 entire 40-60 minute lesson observations by a Fellow (onsite or unedited video) (plus 10 Associate observations = 20 total observations)
- Evidence of completion of Academy-required readings at the Certified Level
- Certified Level members are qualified to tutor individuals and teach small groups using the Orton-Gillingham Approach.
- Trainees contemplating application should begin by reading Notice to Applicant and then by proceeding to download the appropriate membership documents at http://www.ortonacademy.org/certification.php