The following websites listed here provide valuable information about dyslexia, reading research, instructional approaches, and educational information:
What is dyslexia?
- The Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators: www.ortonacademy.org
- The Yale Center for Dyslexia & Creativity: http://dyslexia.yale.edu/About_ShaywitzBios.html#
- National Center for Learning Disabilities: http://www.ncld.org/action-center
- Dyslexia Help at the University of Michigan: www.dyslexiahelp.umich.edu
- International Dyslexia Association: http://eida.org
- International Dyslexia Association Fact Sheets: http://eida.org/fact-sheets/
U.S. Department of Education – Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Section 504:
Free Appropriate Public Education for Students with Disabilities: Requirements under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (FAPE): https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/edlite- FAPE504.html
Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA): http://www.ed.gov/essa
Department of Education, Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services, Dyslexia IDEA Letter – Stating use the term ‘dyslexia’: https://www2.ed.gov/policy/speced/guid/idea/memosdcltrs/guidance-on-dyslexia-10-2015.pdf
Wrights Law: http://www.wrightslaw.com
What if you disagree with the school’s evaluation or a more in-depth evaluation is needed? What is an Independent Education Evaluation? http://www.ldonline.org/article/14621/Pending Dyslexia Legislation for Children with Dyslexia in NYS Public Schools:
Evaluation: What does it mean for your child? http://www.ldonline.org/article/20450/
What are the NYS laws on special education? Federal laws?
Disability and Special Education Acronyms: http://www.nysed.gov/about/acronymsDyslexia Laws in the USA: https://app.box.com/s/xb7gv06g08moq4eczmcfarzrcq9ue3ie
Testing & Evaluation: http://eida.org/testing-and-evaluation/
Evaluating Professionals: http://eida.org/evaluating-professionals-fact-sheet/
U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division, Disability Rights Section, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Accommodations:
Learning Ally: www.learningally.org
A Leaning Ally membership can be purchased through a student’s school under the Free Appropriate Education (FAPE) Act.