Orton-Gillingham Classroom Educator Level: Coursework
The Classroom Educator Level course is the classroom instructional course in the OG approach. My classes will provide classroom teachers, home-school instructors, and pre-service educators, hands-on opportunities to learn the structure of the English language and practice multisensory techniques for teaching reading, spelling and handwriting for instruction in the classroom or small groups. Presentations include lectures, multisensory experiences, lesson planning and teaching demonstrations. Topics covered will prepare participants to teach students from kindergarten to primary grades, reading, writing, spelling and comprehension.
Homework requirements include the completion of the Academy’s required readings, written summaries, lesson plans and quizzes.
* The Orton-Gillingham Classroom Educator is qualified to apply principles of the Orton-Gillingham Approach to modify and provide literacy instruction for the classroom or small groups. Utilizing direct instruction, teachers bring a multisensory, structured, sequential, phonics and linguistic approach into the classroom and small groups. It is NOT intended for one-on-one remedial work. Reading teachers, Special Education teachers, Literacy Coachers, and tutors are eligible for the Associate Level Certification.
Instructor: Laurie D. Leason, Fellow of the Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators (AOGPE)
Academic Year: 4 days 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Please contact me directly to inquire about other available training days and times.
This coursework will provide PDPs
Optional graduate credits (additional fee payable through the instructor)
Orton-Gillingham Classroom Educator Level: Practicum
The Orton-Gillingham Associate Level practicum will provide my trainees with the opportunity to apply the Orton-Gillingham approach when instructing a classroom or small groups at their own school site or arranged site. With this practicum I will provide support and instruction as the participant designs and teaches 5 lessons for a total of 50 hours under my supervision. This practicum must be completed at a minimum of 12 consecutive months, during which the trainee will work with a classroom or small group. My observation includes a comprehensive write up with recommendations. Upon the completion of their coursework, practicum hours, required readings, lesson plans, and quizzes, trainees will have met the requirements of the Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators for certification at the Classroom Educator Level of membership.
Dates: Arranged on an individual basis
Fee: $200 per lesson, plus travel.
The differences between the Classroom Educator and the Associate Level:
Orton-Gillingham Classroom Educator Level: Application for Certification
Following the successful completion of the Classroom Educator Level Course, trainees may apply for membership at the Classroom Educator Level in the Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators.
The requirements for admission to the Academy at the Associate Level are:
- Bachelor’s degree
- OG coursework totaling a minimum of 30 hours
- OG-supervised practicum experience, teaching 50 hours of supervised classroom or group instruction, over a minimum period of 1 academic year
- 5 complete lesson observations by a Fellow
- Evidence of completion of Academy-required readings
- If a Classroom Educator wishes to pursue Associate level certification by the Academy, all course work and practicum training may be applied to the Associate training requirements.
- Trainees contemplating application should begin by reading Notice to Applicant and then by proceeding to download the appropriate membership documents at http://www.ortonacademy.org/certification.php
Download Application form for the Classroom Educator Level course.
You must submit criminal record search. This search must be attached to your registration (scan and upload for online registrations).
The differences between the Academy Levels of training and membership are listed here: